For a second straight poll, our four area experts have chosen the defending state-runner-up Sobieski Skis as the top team in Minnesota Class C amateur baseball.
Sobieski narrowly out-tallied the Raymond Rockets, who defeated the Skis last season in Dassel to claim the 2016 Class C state title.
Sobieski and Raymond were joined by the Hutchinson Huskies, Fort Ripley Rebels, Sartell Muskies, New Market Muskies, Carver Black Sox and Blue Earth Pirates as the eight teams on all four ballots.
Because rankings were submitted throughout the week, some records may not match or be up to date. For up-to-date records, visit mnbaseball.org
Tom Elliott - St. Cloud
1. Raymond Rockets - Reigning champs' only loss so far to the Cold Spring Springers, a Class B power
2. Sobieski Skis - The Skis are rolling in the Victory League after a 6-1 win over a really good Upsala Blue Jays squad
3. Hutchinson Huskies - Hutch goes into the Elrosa Elite Tournament this weekend with a 9-1 record and a lone loss to Waconia
4. Fort Ripley Rebels - The Rebels are 6-0 in the Victory League's North Division and looking sharp
5. Sartell Muskies - The Muskies are 7-1 heading into a Wednesday night game with St. Cloud Beaudreau's
6. Elrosa Saints - The Saints are leading the Stearns County League North Division with a 5-1 record and can make a statement in its tournament this weekend
7. New Market Muskies
8. Waconia Lakers
9. New London-Spicer Twins
10. Blue Earth Pirates
Jason Kuerschner - Hollander
1. Sobieski Skis – 10-1, went 2-1 at the Sterns County Classic taking 3rd place and collecting a win over St. Cloud Beaudreau’s, while losing to Lake Henry in the second round. Still undefeated in the Victory League, looking forward to their match up with Fort Ripley!
2. New Market Muskies – 11-2 Unfortunate back-to-back loses to rival and class “B” Elko otherwise unscathed in class “C” play.
3. Fort Ripley Rebels – 7-0 in Victory League play with wins over Lastrup and Nisswa already, looking forward to the Sobieski match up!
4. Raymond Rockets – 6-1 Playing well and looking to defend their Championship, only loss is to the Cold Spring Springers (“B”).
5. Hutchinson Huskies – 9-1 with an early season loss to Waconia their only blemish, the Huskies are looking tough in the North Star League.
6. Hampton Cardinals – 6-2 starting to heat up, their loses are to two perennially strong class “B” teams, Shakopee Indians and Miesville Mudhens (Class B #1).
7. Sartell Muskies – 6-1 playing well to start the season only blemish is to higher ranked Fort Ripley.
8. Blue Earth Pirates – 7-1 playing well again in southern Minnesota just recently dropped one to rival Waterville.
9. Wanamingo Jacks – 7-0, off to a great start so far in the south eastern part of the state, are they ready to make some noise come August?
10. Carver Black Sox – 12-3, this team is currently 8-0 in the tough Crow River Valley. They have wins already over Waconia and Green Isle. They are new to this ranking, will they continue their winning ways or begin to falter down the stretch, only time will tell!
Trent Sukalski - Jackson
1. Sobieski Skis (8-0) - They take over my top spot, outscoring their last three opponents 29 to 3
2. Sartell Muskies (6-1) - Winners of five straight, the 2013 Class C Champs are looking good
3. Raymond Rockets (12-3) - The reigning champs are a top the Corn Belt
4. Hutchinson Huskies - 9-0 in the North Star League and gearing up for the Elrosa Elite State 8 Tournament this weekend
5. Blue Earth Pirates (9-1) - The Pirates have looked tough with recent wins over Fairmont, New Ulm, Bird Island and Owatonna. Their only loss at Waterville 9-8 in 11 innings
6. Fort Ripley Rebels (6-0) - Wins over Aitkin, Royalton and Pierz since our last poll, outscoring them 40-1
7. New Market Muskies (12-2) - Winners of five straight and looking good
8. Carver Black Sox (12-3) - The Black Sox are 8-0 in the Crow River South, ahead of both Plato and Green Isle
9. Sartell Muskies (6-1) - Wins over Luxemburg, Isanti and Watkins gave them the Championship of their own Omann Insurance Invitational Tournament
10. Milroy Irish (12-3) - Coming off a great state tournament run last year, Bobby Dolan has his team playing well again
Aaron Worm - New Prague
1. Raymond Rockets - defending champs are 12-3, won Tournament in Morris since last rankings
2. Sobieski Skis - 11-1 on the season still unbeaten in the Victory league at 8-0
3. New Market Muskies- 11-2, only two losses to Class B team Elko, on top of DRS at 9-1
4. Fort Ripley Rebels - 7-0, Unbeaten in the tough Victory League, big matchup with Nisswa this weekend
5. Carver Black Sox - 8-0 in Crow River, 12-3 on season after going 2-1 in New Prague Tournament
6. Hutchinson Huskies - Won 8 in a row, including winning last two games combined 30-3
7. Sartell Muskies - Winners of the Omann Insurance invite, and 5 straight “W”’s
8. Hampton Cardinals - Tied with Defending “B”State Champions Miesville with a 5-1 record in the Classic Cannon Valley League
9. Faribault Lakers - 7-1 in the DRS, Don’t sleep on the Lakers, in the final 4 at State in 2014, Lot of talent on a team that missed state tourney last year
10. Blue Earth Pirates - 7-1, suffered 1st loss of the season over the weekend, but after spending much of my radio career near the Iowa Border, can’t forgot about the talented teams down south.
CLASS C RANKINGS (as of June 15)
1. Sobieski Skis (38)
2. Raymond Rockets (35)
3. Fort Ripley Rebels (27)
4. Hutchinson Huskies (26)
5. New Market Muskies (25)
6. Sartell Muskies (23)
7. Blue Earth Pirates (11)
8. Carver Black Sox (10)
9. Hampton Cardinals (8)
10. Elrosa Saints (5)
Others receiving votes: Waconia Lakers (3), New London-Spicer Twins (2), Wanamingo Jacks (2), Faribault Lakers (2), Milroy Yankees (1)