By Nick Gerhardt
Get ready for a shakeup with this week's poll. There was a lot of movement throughout the list, beginning with the top spot. New Market claimed No. 1 outright with all four first-place votes after it shared the honor with Plato in the previous poll.
Speaking of Plato, the Blue Jays slid down to No. 8 following losses to Young America and Winsted. The Sartell Muskies took advantage of the slide to climb to No. 2 in the poll. Sartell has just one loss this season and that came against Class B power the Cold Spring Springers.
Elsewhere, the Jordan Brewers are off to an 11-1 start, having suffered their first loss of the season Tuesday to Class A's Baseball 365. The Brewers grabbed the No. 3 slot in this week's poll.
Young America dropped down to No. 4 as Jordan rose from No. 10 and Sartell moved up two spots. Buckman stood pat at No. 5 while New London-Spicer jumped to No. 5 after claiming the Stearns County Classic title.
Watkins, by way of an undefeated started, moved into the top 10 at the No. 7 spot.
Waconia moved into the top 10 at No. 9 by rising to the top of the Crow River and Brownton claimed the No. 10 spot with wins over Hutchinson and Plato. The Huskies were ranked No. 6 in the previous poll.
Jason Kuerschner — Cologne
1. New Market Muskies — 16-0 and off to a fantastic start in the DRS, had a great tourney last year and if they stay Class C, I expect to see them in the field again.
2. Sartell Muskies — 14-1 keeping with the fish theme here at the top of the list, only loss so far is to the Cold Spring Springers.
3. Waconia Lakers — Have risen to the top of the CRVL and have a good complement of young and seasoned players to rely on. Question is can they get through the rugged Region 7C tourney?
4. Jordan Brewers — 11-1 currently undefeated in the RVL and looking good, can they keep it going and make a run in the tourney? We will see.
5. Buckman Billygoats — 8-1 in the Victory league and leading the way now with Sobieski in Class B in Region 8.
6. Hutchinson Huskies — 9-3 and leading the way in the North Star league so far but Maple Lake is right on their heels.
7. New London Spicer Twins — 9-2 in the County Line.
8. Maple Lake Lakers — 9-4 playing well in the North Star and just behind Hutch in the standings
9. Avon Lakers — 7-0 in the Victory League and looking to keep pace with Buckman
10. Brownton Bruins — 9-2 and currently in second place in the CRVL. Have won some tough games early, can they continue their winning ways as the schedule turns over to July?
Honorable Mention: Kimball Express, Watkins Clippers, Raymond Rockets, Bird Island Bullfrogs (I may have actually put them in my list but they have no updated game results on the website. Ed’s note: Post your team’s results on mnbaseball.org. Our pollsters have clamored for it for years now. Don’t know how? Email firstname.lastname@example.org) and St. Patrick Irish.
2. Buckman — The Billygoats jump a few spots in my poll, with an 8-1 victory league record
3. Sartell — The northern Muskies are off to a fast start in the Sauk Valley League
4. Jordan — Start season 11-1, the Brew Crew always solid year after year
5. Young America — The Cardinals are 7-3 in the Crow, and just took down Plato before rematch with the defending champs at Target Field.
6. Watkins — Another win against Kimball lands them in the top 10
7. Plato — Falling from the top spot down here is probably too big of slide for the champs, I expect this will be the last time they will be not be in my top 5
8. Avon — Undefeated in the Victory league, early win against a good Nisswa team
9. Milroy Irish — Off to 14-2 start
10. Montgomery — Mallards have won 4 in a row, very complete team, and I might be extremely bias here, I’m okay with that, Quack Quack
Tom Elliott — St. Cloud
1. New Market Muskies (16-0) — Wins over the Prior Lake Mudcats (12-4), Webster Sox (5-2) and Veseli Warriors (12-2) helps New Market maintain its No. 1 status.
2. Sartell Muskies (14-1) — The Muskies won their own Omann Insurance Classic with victories over co-host St. Stephen (11-1), Nisswa (5-4) and Buckman (3-2). They’ve also scored Sauk Valley League wins over Foley (5-1) and St. Joseph (9-1).
3. Young America Cardinals (8-4) — The Cardinals have kicked it into gear with some key Crow River Valley League wins early.
4. New London-Spicer Twins (9-2) — The Twins won the Stearns County League Classic in St. Martin and Lake Henry, beating Lake Henry (4-3), the Cold Spring Rockies (6-3) and Dassel-Cokato Saints (2-0) to take the title. They also beat Regal (4-2), avenging an earlier County Line League loss to the Eagles (11-1).
5. Watkins Clippers (9-0) — Watkins has taken no prisoners so far in the Central Valley League, hammering Pearl Lake (17-0), Eden Valley (12-2) and St. Nicholas (7-1).
6. Pierz Lakers (6-2) — It’s early, but the artists formerly known as the Lastrup Lakers started 6-0 in Victory League play. Included is a 7-5 win over a good Upsala Blue Jays squad.
7. Jordan Brewers (11-1) — Victories over Sacred Heart (5-4), Fairfax (12-4) and Gaylord (3-0) help the Brewers stay unbeaten.
8. Delano Athletics (12-1) — The A’s beat a very strong Hutchinson squad (10-2) to move to the top of the North Star League standings.
9. Brownton Bruins (9-3) — Victories over Hutchinson and Plato help move the Bruins into this poll.
10. Meire Grove Grovers (6-1) — Meire Grove has recorded three straight shutouts in Stearns County League play, including wins over Richmond (3-0), Elrosa (5-0) and Roscoe (21-0). They play host to St. Martin on Sunday.
Chad Knutson — Heron Lake
1. New Market Muskies — 16-0 outscored opponents 150-33
2. Sartell Muskies — Only one loss to Cold Spring Springers
3. Young America Cardinals — Losses to Carver twice and Cologne ... just beat Plato and will play Blue Jays again Saturday at Target Field.
4. New London-Spicer 9-2 won Stearns County Classic
5. Plato Blue Jays — Four losses, gets rematch with Young America at Target Field on Saturday
6. Jordan Brewers — 11-1
7. Brownton Bruins — Beat Hutch twice and Plato
8. Buckman Billygoats — 8-1
9. Delano Athletics — 12-1 leading the North Star league
10. Milroy Irish — 14-2, 12-0 league
Honorable Mention: Waconia, Hutchinson, Carver, Watkins, Avon, Kimball, Isanti, Waterville, Ft. Ripley, St. Patrick, Fairmont, Fergus Falls, Meire Grove, Hanska and Bird Island.
Class C standings (As of June 20)
1. New Market (40)
2. Sartell Muskies (35)
3. Jordan Brewers (23)
4. Young America Cardinals (22)
5. Buckman Billygoats (18)
5. New London-Spicer Twins (18)
7. Watkins Clippers (11)
8. Plato Blue Jays (10)
9. Waconia Lakers (8)
10. Brownton Bruins (7)
Others receiving votes: Avon Lakers, Maple Lake Lakers, Milroy Irish, Montgomery Mallards, Pierz Lakers, Delano Athletics, Meire Grove Grovers, Hutchinson Huskies, Carver Black Sox, Kimball Express, Isanti Redbirds, Waterville Indians, Fort Ripley Rebels, St. Patrick Irish, Fairmont Martins, Fergus Falls Hurricanes, Hanska Lakers, Bird Island Bullfrogs, Raymond Rockets,